Monday, January 18, 2010

A Delicious Day Off

Thanks to my mom's post about stuffed french toast, Nick and I simply couldn't go on without making some of our own. Since I didn't have any cream cheese on hand, I went with the un-stuffed variety, but next time around I'll make sure I have the cream cheese!

A few points:

My mom followed the recipe over at The Flour Alchemist, which calls for blending vanilla extract in with the cream cheese. If you're using cherry topping like my mom did, I would definitely recommend using almond extract instead of vanilla - cherry and almond go beautifully together! Also, I would probably blend some of the strained cherries into the filling, then just use the juice as a syrup on top - I love a chunky filling!

Now, for my un-stuffed version, I decided to use a topping that I learned at school, homemade moreno cherries. The most amazing thing you've ever tasted - it will change your life, I promise.

Moreno Cherries

3 cups frozen cherries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon almond extract

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and sauce is thickened.

I served this on top of my french toast, but it would also be excellent on ice cream or cheese cake. It also saves really well in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

That topping sounds divine! We'll definitely be giving that a try! Thanks for the tip re almond with cherries. I even had almond extract on hand! I also like your idea of mixing the fruit in with the cream cheese.

Kim said...

Glad you will put it to use! I thought it might make a good pie filling too...just add some cornstarch to the filling for thickening...could be a fun experiment.

Keri said...

Okay, I will visit your site. I love your humor. Humor is SOOOO important. If you're funny, you have my attention. Keri (a.k.a. Sam)