Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Veinte de Julio

This morning we all woke up pretty sore, but still glad to be alive. My neck is so sore that if I lay down, I have to use my hands to life my head! Needless to say, the muscle cream is coming in handy.

Today Adrianna’s dad came over with coconuts from his property, which he cut with a machete so that we could drink the water, then eat the meat inside. Once we had finished those, he made gorditas – corn dough which is fried, then covered with butter and cheese! In a bit we will have prawns – a day of eating!

This evening we drove over to Adrianna’s sister, America’s house. I completely lost it on the way over – so uncomfortable in the car that I started crying uncontrollably. I think it’s going to take some time getting used to being in a car again. I hope that things will improve a bit once I get home. I just can’t get the accident out of my head. I remember exactly what it felt like when the car made it’s first flip, and I remember vividly what it felt like when my head was hitting the window.

Of course, nothing that a beer can’t fix! Once I had calmed a bit, Nick and I joined the party and had a great time. Our Spanish has improved immensely since being here, so we were actually able to carry some broken but understandable conversations.

There was so much dancing and drinking – by the end of the night, 2.5 bottles of tequila were gone between about 10 people (3 beers was plenty for me!), and everyone was having a great time. Despite doctor’s orders, Adrianna and I couldn’t help joining in the dancing! I had to break out my belly dancing moves of course, and from that point on, no one would let me leave the dance floor! At one point I was off in my own little world, getting into the music, not realizing I was the only one dancing. When I stopped for a drink of water and some fresh air, everyone in the room broke into applause! I think I could fit in just fine here….

No comments: